visualDESIGNbility: VISUALmerchandising+DESIGN+usaBILITY

on lunedì 15 settembre 2008

We are, Fisherspooner, 2006
First of all, WELCOME TO EVERYONE!!!

If you wonder about the name and the why of this blog, read this page. If you don't, well, read it, you might find out something interesting.

Who am I? Well, I am Giulia Agostini, an italian girl who loves every form of art, people, travelling/discovering, good wine, reading and laughing. What’s more about me? I danced for a long time, played the piano for a long time, painted for a long time…and I don’t do a lot of things anymore because...because of a lot of reasons.

Where am I ? Although I come from the countryside of Venice, from a green village famous for Prosecco wine, I live in Milan for the most part of the year and go home few times. Indeed, I prefer to travel if I have some days off.

What am I doing here? I am developing a blog about design, was it not clear?

Why am I writing and developing a blog about DESIGN? This was required as a commitment of a design course among the ones that I attend in Economics and Management for Arts, Culture and Communication in Bocconi University. I think it will turn out to be something that I really feel doing and improving. Firstly, what has always interested me is how people communicate and the Internet is my main mean to keep in touch with friends from all over the world. Secondly, I’m fond of visual arts and design (interior, fashion and video making), and mainly of advertisement images. Have you ever thought how a photo can say more about the world we live in than thousends of epic poems? Finally, a blog allows you to have a place to speak your mind and keep your interests up daily like a diary.

Why did I choose "visualDESIGNbility"? Firstly, because it’s a pun based on "DESIGN" that is the main topic and "USABILITY". Usability is a term used to denote the ease with which people can employ a particular tool or other human-made object in order to achieve a particular goal. Usability can also refer to the methods of measuring functionality and the study of the principles behind an object's perceived efficiency or elegance. And "VISUAL" and it is referred to visualmerchanding. why usuability and visualmerchandising? Because how things are placed determines the possibility to touch, to see, to try the object to purchase and this make the consumption be an experience, non only a purchase. And this will be the guideline of the blog: deepen the how and why of the interior design elements of stores in Milan and understand their functionality and the way they affect the costumers.

How will I develop the blog? adding day by day new post, wandering in the city of MILAN and discovering each piece, taking photos and interviewing people and giving up this method only if I have to feature a particular happening that I'll attend. Mainly I'll try be interesting but not forced and pedant, improving the graphic design as much I will be able to, posting my favourite videos, pics and music.